heart in the clouds

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Are You Scared of Your Shadow?

Today in the dark of early morning, Zach was of course telling me to get up and I, most certainly, was having a rough time as usual. He started walking backward and I warned him to stop or he would run into the open closet door (we're such neat freaks ya know). Instinctively, he turned around to see what I was talking about and there it was, big as Dallas...his shadow in the light of the alarm clock.

Intense fear and trembling set in and before I knew it, Zach was in my arms crying. He was afraid of his shadow because he didn't know what it was.

That got me thinking about our "shadows." How many times have we burrowed so deep into our dark sins that we aren't aware of the big scary shadow that might be trailing us around. If we turned around to take a peek, we might be scared into fear and trembling as well. It challenged me to keep an eye on the shadow I'm casting to everyone around me.

The Bible talks about shadows in a couple places:
Hebrews 10:1 - The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming—not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship.


Colossians 2:16-17 - Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Our shadows are not reality; Christ is reality and we must be found in Him and then maybe our "shadows" won't be so scary!

Happy Wednesday!



1 comment:

Misty Dawn said...

I wish for just one day I was half as insightful as you are. I love reading your blogs.